The kingdom of Karera was located on the island of Sumba, Kab. Sumba Timur, Prov. Nusa Tenggara Timur.
Location of Karera
Location of Sumba
* Video history kingdoms on Sumba and NTT, 40.000 BC – today: link
* Foto kings, today on Sumba: link
* Foto kings on Sumba in the past: link
* Foto old sites on Sumba: link
KINGDOM OF KARERA
About the king today
The king of the Karera kingdom, Mr. Umbu Yadar, died in 2019.
As head of kabihu Nipa he leads the wealthiest and most influential noble family on the whole island of Sumba. They own vast herds of livestock and hugely valuable mineral reserves. In the past decade two Australian mining ventures – one to extract lead, the other silver and gold – have been terminated due to widespread local opposition.
History of the kingdom of Karera
There is no information about the history of this kingdom.
About the kingdom of Karera
1892 Kerajaan Karera founded.
1909 Kerajaan Massu founded.
c.1912 Massu united with Karera as Massu-Karera.
Kings of Karera:
* 1892 – 1897: Umbu Mutu Damunamu
* 1897 – c.1912: Umbu Haru Halomatu
– Source: link
The late Mr. Raja Karera, Umbu Manja Nggaharu, alias Umbu Hunga Meha, alias Umbuna i Nggaba, at Kaliuda 9 August 2007.
The kingdoms on Sumba
The people of Sumba generally have no kingdom in their traditional system of government. There are only villages led by a head of each village, customary rules that apply in each village. However, during Dutch colonial rule, to facilitate control, the Dutch began to establish relationships with village heads. They entered into a contract of cooperation, in which each traditional ruler who signed the contract (often called the Short Placard Contract or Korte Verklaring) was officially recognized and called the king and given stick as a sign of power. From here tokko (stick) became popular. There are two types of rods of gold-headed stick (tokko ndoko) given to the main king, and silver-headed stick (tokkoamaho kaka) for auxiliary king.
The king, who had the approval of the Dutch government had to recognize the sovereignty of the Dutch authorities and one of his important duties was to tax the Dutch interests. Thus their sovereignty has actually been under the control of other nations, but de facto the kings remain sovereign and highly respected by their people and through them the Dutch powers the entire community. At first there were the heads of the villages, who did not bow to and against the Dutch government, but because of the strong military strength they finally surrendered and submitted to the power of the Dutch.
– Source: http://jacktenabolo18.blogspot.co.id/2014/12/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-sumba-masyarakat.html
The kingdoms on Sumba are:
Kodi Bangedo: kingdom on south west Sumba
Kodi Bokol: kingdom on south west Sumba
Kodi: kingdom on south west Sumba
Laura: kingdom on south west Sumba
Waijewa: kingdom on south west Sumba
Lauli: kingdom on west Sumba
Wanokaka: kingdom on west Sumba
Gaura: kingdom on west Sumba
Laboya: kingdom on west Sumba
Anakalang, kingdom on central Sumba
Umbu Ratu Nggay: kingdom on central Sumba
Tapundung: kingdom on central Sumba
Mamboru: kingdom on central Sumba
Lawonda: kingdom on central Sumba
Lakoka: kingdom on central Sumba
Rende, Rendi: kingdom on east Sumba
Napu: kingdom on east Sumba
Menyili: kingdom on east Sumba
Melolo: kingdom on east Sumba
Karera: kingdom on east Sumba
Massu: kingdom on east Sumba
Massu Karera: kingdom on east Sumba
Lewa: kingdom on east Sumba
Waijelu: kingdom on east Sumba
Kambera: kingdom on east Sumba
Kanatang: kingdom on east Sumba
Kapunduk, kingdom on east Sumba
Pau, kingdom on east Sumba
Riung, kingdom on east Sumba
Umalulu, kingdom on east Sumba
Traditional domains on Sumba
Old maps of Sumba
For old maps of Sumba, click here
An anonymous map submitted by Arnold de Vlamingh van Oudtshoorn in 1656 double mapping Sumba Island as Nomba and Sandalenbos
Source (only indon. language)
– Kerajaan kerajaan di Sumba: http://jacktenabolo18.blogspot.co.id/2014/12/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-sumba-masyarakat.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Sumba barat: https://www.facebook.com/notes/john-malahina/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-sumba-barat/10152624675666115
– Sejarah Sumba: http://www.moripanet.com/2013/09/mengenal-sejarah-sumba-ntt.html
– Sumba masa kolonial: http://www.umbugoda.blogspot.co.id/2014/01/masa-kolonial-pulau-sumba.html
– Tentang pulau Sumba: http://www.umbugoda.blogspot.co.id/search?updated-max=2014-02-13T20:11:00-08:00&max-results=50&reverse-paginate=true
– Suku Sumba: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suku_Sumba
– Suku Sumba: http://kebudayaanindonesia.net/kebudayaan/990/suku-sumba-nusa-tenggara-timur