The kingdom of Karangasem, 1600-1950. Located on the province of Bali.
About the king today
There is no information about the king today.
History of the kingdom of Karangasem, 1600-1950
Established in 1661 by I Gusti Anglurah Ketut Karang, Karangasem was an eastern Balinese kingdom that included the territory presently known as the Karangasem Regency and the western half of Lombok. The 18th and 19th centuries saw Bali-Lombok colonial wars against the Dutch, led by the Anglurah Ketut Karangasem sub dynasty until its defeat in 1894.
Born in 1887 during Karangasem’s sovereign independence era, I Gusti Bagus Djelantik started his reign in 1908 as a Dutch colonial representative (stedehouder) heading 22 localities. Karangasem fell under the Japanese invasion during World War II and saw another period of brief independence in 1945. A few years later Karangasem joined the State of East Indonesia under the short-lived United States of Indonesia, and eventually merged into the current Republic of Indonesia in 1950 as part of Bali province.
List of kings
* c. 1600: Gusti Nyoman Karang
* Anglurah Ketut Karang, child from Gusti Nyoman Karang
* Abad ke-17: Anglurah Nengah Karangasem, child from Anglurah Ketut Karang
* 1691-1692: Anglurah Ketut Karangasem, brother of Anglurah Nengah Karangasem
* Anglurah Made Karang, child of Anglurah Nengah Karangasem
* 1730: Gusti Wayahan Karangasem, child of Anglurah Ketut Karangasem
* 1730s: Anglurah Made Karangasem Sakti (Bagawan Atapa Rare), child of Anglurah Made Karang
* 1730s-1775: Anglurah Made Karangasem, child of Anglurah Made Karangasem Sakti
* 1775-1806: Gusti Gede Ngurah Karangasem, grandchild of Anglurah Made Karangasem
* 1806-1822: Gusti Gede Ngurah Lanang, nephew of Gusti Gede Ngurah Karangasem
* 1822: Gusti Gede Ngurah Pahang, grandchild Gusti Gede Ngurah Karangasem
* 1822-1828: Gusti Gede Ngurah Lanang (reigned 2 times 1822-1828; died 1837)
* 1828-1838: Gusti Bagus Karang (died 1839), child from Gusti Gede Ngurah Karangasem
* 1838-1849: Gusti Gede Ngurah Karangasem, nephew from Gusti Bagus Karang
Rulers of Lombok in the name of Karangasem 1849-1894
* 1849-1850: Gusti Made Jungutan (Gusti Made Karangasem) (as vasal king 1849-1850), before he was punggawa
* 1850-1893: Gusti Gede Putu (as vasal king 1850-1893), nephew from raja Lombok
* 1850-1890: Gusti Gede Oka (as vasal king 1850-1890), brother Gusti Gede Putu
* 1890-1908: Gusti Gede Jelantik (wafat 1916), brother of Gusti Gede Oka
* 1908-1950: Anak Agung Agung Anglurah Ketut Karangasem (died 1966), child from Gusti Gede Putu
Karangasem was united with Republik Indonesia 1950.
1) Puri Gede Karangasem.
* Foto palace Puri Gde Karangasem: link
2) Puri Agung Karangasem
* Foto palace Puri Agung Karangasem: link
3) Puri Taman Ujung
* Foto istana Taman Sukasada: link
Old maps of Bali
Bali 16th century
Kingdoms on Bali, about 1900.
– Intervention of the Dutch, 1906: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_intervention_in_Bali_(1906)
– Intervention of the Dutch in 1849: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_intervention_in_Bali_(1849)
– Dutch intervention on Bali (general): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_intervention_in_Bali