The kingdom of Wertuar is a kingdom of the Heremba Clan. Located on the peninsula Onin, prov. Papua Barat.
* Video history Papua, century-2 AD until today: link
KINGDOM OF WERTUAR
About the king
Present king (2009): Raja Musa Heremba
History of the kingdom of Wertuar
One of the kingdomms of Papua is the kingdom of Wertuar, located west of the city of Kokas, one of the 3 main cities in the region of the Onin peninsula, where all 8 kingdoms of Papua are located. This area is ruled by dynasties originating in the region, a mixture of local / outside origin, or originally from Maluku.
List of kings of Wertuar
* …. – 1850: Heremba
* 1850 – 1870: Semempes
* 1870 – 1886: Waraburi (not recognized as Raja)
* 1886 – 1913: Lakatey Heremba (Raja from 1911)
* 1913 – 1952: Paris Heremba
* 1952 – 1988: Nazar Heremba (d. 1988)
* 1988 – …: Musa Heremba (b. 1955)
Kingdoms on Prov. West Papua
kerajaan = kingdom
marga = Clan
1) Peninsula Bomberai
2) Peninsula Onin
3) Raja Empat
4) Papua Barat, kab. Kaimana
The history of the kingdoms of Prov. West Papua
According to Kakawin Nagarakretagama written between September-October 1365, Wwanin / Onin (Fakfak District) was an area of influence of Majala Majapahit Kingdom, this region may be part of the Hindu kingdom colonies in the Maluku Islands recognized by Majapahit conquest.
In his book “Neiuw Guinea”, WC. Klein also explained the early facts of the influence of the Bacan kingdom on Papua. There he writes: in 1569 Papuan leaders visited the kingdom of Bacan. According to the oral history of the Biak people, there was a relationship and marriage between their tribal chiefs and the sultans of Tidore. The Biak tribe was the largest Melanesian tribe that spreads on the northern coast of Papua, therefore the Biak language is also the most widely used and considered as the language of Papuan unity. Due to the relation of coastal areas of Papua to the Sultan-Sultan of Maluku there were several local kingdoms (pertuanan), which indicate the entry of feudalism system which is not the original culture of ethnic Papua.
In the Raja Ampat Islands located off the coast of Papua there are 4 traditional kingdoms belonging to the mandala territory of Bacan and the sultanate of Ternate, each of which was the kingdom of Waigeo, with its central power in Wewayai, Waigeo island; Salawati kingdom, with a power center in Samate, the island of Salawati Utara; the Sailolof empire with the center of power in Sailolof, South Salawati island, and the kingdom of Misol, with the center of power in Lilinta, Misol island.
In 1660, the VOC had signed an agreement with the Tidore sultan in which Tidore recognized the Dutch protectorate of the people of West Irian. This agreement clearly covered the inhabitants of the islands between Maluku and Irian. Obviously, Tidore never actually controlled Irian. So the Dutch protectorate is just a legal fiction.
Tidore considered himself the superior of Biak. At that time, Malay traders began to visit the island of Irian. It is precisely this view of Tidore which is the reason the Dutch consider the western part of the island is part of the Dutch East Indies.
Since the 16th century, in addition to the Raja Ampat Islands belonging to the Sultan of Bacan and the Sultan of Ternate, other areas of Papua are the coastal areas of Papua from the island of Biak (as well as the Biak distribution areas) until Mimika is part of the mandala territory of Tidore Sultanate, a a large empire adjacent to the territory of Papua.
In 1826 Pieter Merkus, the Dutch governor of Maluku, heard rumors that England began to enter the coast of Irian in the east of the Aru Islands. He decided the group to explore the beach until Dolak Island. Two years later, the Dutch built the Fort Du Bus, which is now the city of Lobo, with the ultimate goal of blocking other European powers landed in western Irian. Fort Du Bus was abandoned in 1836.
In 1872, Tidore recognized the authority of the Kingdom of the Netherlands upon him.
The Dutch returned to Irian in 1898. Irian was divided between the Netherlands, Germany (northern part of eastern Irian) and England (southern part of eastern Irian). The arc line 141 is recognized as the eastern boundary of western Irian. In 1898 – 1949, western Papua was known as Dutch New Guinea.
– Daftar raja Wertuar: http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Indonesia_princely_states2.html
– Sejarah kerajaan2 Papua Barat: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_Barat_%28wilayah%29
– Kerajaan2 Islam di Papua: http://www.gurusejarah.com/2015/01/kerajaan-kerajaan-islam-di-papua.html
– Kerajaan2 di Semenanjung Onin: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semenanjung_Onin
– Sistem kerajaan2 tradisional di Papua: http://papuaweb.org/dlib/s123/mansoben/05.pdf
– Sejarah kerajaan2 di Papua Barat: http://marlinapuspita3.blogspot.co.id/2013/11/papua-barat-wilayah_22.html
– Kerajaan2 di Semenanjung Bomberai: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semenanjung_Bomberai
– Kerajaan2 di kepulauan Raja empat: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepulauan_Raja_Ampat
– Sejarah kepulauan Raja empat: http://www.marikoworld.com/travels/indonesia/raja-ampat/