* Foto old Jawa, ancient sites and Batavia (Jakarta): link
History of the Regency
Limbangan was originally part of the Sunda kingdom. At that time the name was Rumenggong (derived from the word rumenggang which in Sundanese means tenuous or distant, because it is between Galuh and Sunda), and the ruler was known as Sunan Rumenggong. After the Sunda kingdom collapsed, this region had become a subordinate territory Sumedang Larang.
On March 24, 1706, Limbangan yana originally just a district under Sumedang District by the VOC status was returned to an independent district with Rangga Mertasinga as its regent. Until March 22, 1811 Governor General Daendels dismissed Limbangan District for economic reasons. But on February 16, 1813, Governor General Raffles restored Limbangan’s status to the district.
Bupati (regent) Adiwijaya (1813-1831) wanted new district capital. The choice eventually was in a place surrounded by mountains and had springs flowing into Ci Manuk. The place was ± 17 km from the old city center. The name of the district whose capital had been moved, was not be changed, it is still Limbangan Regency. However, on the advice of the elders the name of the district should be replaced with a new name so as not to cause disaster and catastrophe in the future as it often happens Limbangan district. The new name became Garut. Garut anniversary is celebrated every February 16th.
Grave of Sunan Rumenggong
Source (only indon. language)
– Sejarah Kabupaten Limbangan: https://djoemanwiranatakoesoemah.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/sejarah-balubur-limbangan-garut/
– Sejarah Kabupaten Limbangan: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sejarah_Balubur_Limbangan
– Sejarah keluarga besar Limbangan: http://limbangangarut.com/article/93457/sejarah-keluarga-besar-limbangan.html
– Makam Sunan Rumenggong: http://cipakudarmaraja.blogspot.co.id/2017/07/ziarah-ke-makam-sunan-rumenggong.html