The Kingdom of Badung, 1788–1950. Located on the province of Bali.
* Foto kingdom of Badung: link
Present King (2018): Ida Cokorda Ngurah Jambe Pemecutan / Raja Denpasar IX
History of the kingdom of Badung, 1788–1950
The existence of the Kingdom of Badung began when the center of the Kingdom of Gelgel, which is a continuation of the Majapahit Kingdom in Bali, was moved to Klungkung in 1700. Gelgel’s subordinate kingdoms soon escaped, including Badung one led by Kiai Jambe Pule who holds Prabhu Bandhana.
Although it has been separated from the Kingdom of Klungkung, but until 1700 Badung was never called as a kingdom, because at that time Badung was still under the rule of the Kingdom of Mengwi.
When the Kingdom of Mengwi suffered a setback due to long fighting, in 1779 Badung began to liberate themselves and grow big in Bali. At that time, appeared the name I Gusti Ngurah Pemecutan Sakti, who have a strong position as a ruler in Badung.
The name Badung was initiated by I Gusti Ngurah Made Pemecutan at the end of the 18th century. Previously this place was named Nambangan. I Gusti Ngurah Made The famous scout had a dagger and whip (whip), then managed to subdue Mengwi and Jembrana until 1810. After that, he was replaced by the next two kings.
The death of I Gusti Ngurah Made Pemecutan apparently has been planned by the ruler of Badung successor, the King of Kesiman. The King of Kesiman, who ruled from 1829-1863, was apparently influenced by the Dutch East Indies colonial government at the time.
After coming to power, the King of Kesiman allowed the Dutch to establish a station in Kuta in 1826, in exchange for his previous cooperation in which he succeeded in the throne.
The puputan 0f 1906
In 1904, a Dutch-flagged Chinese ship named “Sri Komala” stranded on Sanur Beach. The Dutch East Indies government accused the local people of disarming, destroying and robbing Sri Komala’s ship; they charged the local king for all the damage of 3,000 dollars of silver and to punish those who destroyed the ship.
King of Badung in charge of the Sanur area also rejected the Dutch allegations and payment of the compensation. On the rejection of the King of Badung, the Dutch government prepared for the 6th military expedition to Bali on 20 September 1906.
After successfully attacking the castle (palace) Badung, Dutch military and then invaded the city of Denpasar to reach the gate of the city. Until here the Dutch troops feel not getting a meaningful resistance from the opponent. However, in front of them suddenly a crowd of people dressed in white, attacking them. The people in white clothing were ready to do a “belligerent war”, which means war to death, led by the King of Badung itself.
Kingdoms on Bali ca 1900
Palace: Puri (palace) Agung Badung
Puri Agung Denpasar (Puri Agung Satria) is a palace of Balinese kings, in southern Bali. The palace was founded by Kyai Agung Made Ngurah (I Gusti Ngurah Made Pemecutan) as the first King of Denpasar and the construction was completed in 1788 after previously he moved the administrative center of Badung Kingdom from Puri Jambe Kesatria. Furthermore, the central government of the Kingdom of Badung was in Puri Agung Denpasar until finally Dutch troops defeated the Badung Kingdom through the Puputan Badung War of 1906.
* Foto Puri Agung Denpasar, Badung: link
List of kings
1 Puri Pinatih
* I Gusti Ngurah Pinatih
2 Puri Tegeh Kori (daerah tegal)
* Kyayi Tegeh Kori
3 Puri Alang Badung ( — sampai 1750 )
* Kyayi Ketut Bendesa / Kyayi Notor Wandira
* Kyayi Gede Raka / Kyayi Jambe Pule
* Kyayi Jambe Merik / king of Badung I
* Kyayi Jambe Ketewel / king of Badung II
* Kyayi Jambe Tangkeban / king of Badung III
4 Puri Ksatria ( 1750 – 1788)
* Kyayi Jambe Aji ( Kyayi Jambe Aeng ) / king of Badung IV
* Kyayi Jambe Ksatria / king of Badung V
* Kyayi Ngurah Made (I Gusti Ngurah made Pemecutan) / king of Badung VI
5 Puri Agung Denpasar (1779 – Sekarang)
* I Gusti Ngurah Made Pemecutan / Raja Badung VI / Raja Denpasar I ( 1779/1788 – 1813 )
* I Gusti Ngurah Jambe Pemecutan / Raja Denpasar II ( 1813 – 1817 )
* I Gusti Made Ngurah Pemecutan / Raja Denpasar III ( 1817 – 1829 )
* I Gusti Gede Ngurah Pemecutan / Raja Denpasar IV ( 1829 – 1848 )
* I Gusti Alit Ngurah Pemecutan / Raja Denpasar V ( 1848 – 1902 )
* I Gusti Ngurah Made Agung / Raja Denpasar VI ( 1902 – 1906 ) [at the time of the puputan Badung]
* Cokorda Alit Ngurah / Raja Denpasar VII ( 1929 – 1947 )
* Cokorda Ngurah Agung / Ida Cokorda Denpasar VIII [awal kedaulatan NKRI]
* Ida Cokorda Ngurah Jambe Pemecutan / Raja Denpasar IX ( 2005 – sekarang )
– Sumber / source: link
– Website Puri Agung Denpasar: link
– Intervention of the Dutch, 1906: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_intervention_in_Bali_(1906)
– Intervention of the Dutch in 1849: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_intervention_in_Bali_(1849)
– Dutch intervention on Bali (general): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_intervention_in_Bali