The Kingdom of Bolaang Uki was a kingdom of the Mongondow people; located in in the district Bolaang Mongondow, prov. north Sulawesi. This kingdom exists since the 16th century.
District Bolaang Mongondow
* Foto kingdom of Bolaang Uki: below
* Foto sultans and kings today on Sulawesi: link
* Foto sultans and kings in the past on Sulawesi: link
* Foto kingdoms in the region of Poso: link
* Foto Bugis tribe: link
* Foto old sites on Sulawesi: link
About the king
The present (2005) Camat sub-district ruler of District Bolang Uki is a member of the Gobel Raja Dynasty: drs Ahmad Gobel.
History of the kingdom
Since the 16th century, the district of Bolaang Mongondow was the territory of several kingdoms. Some of the kingdoms, who once ruled in this region, were:
1) kingdom of Bolaang Mongondow,
2) Kingdom of Bolango, which later became Kingdom of Bolaang Uki located in Walugu,
3) Kingdom of Bintauna, changed several times the capital: Panayo, Minanga, dan Pimpi,
4) Kingdom of Bolaang Itang located in Bolaang Itang,
5) Kingdom of Kaidipang with as capital Buroko.
The Bolaang Uki tribe are the people of the Bolango Kingdom based in Gorontalo, who fled to Bolaang Mongondow in 1862, for disputing and refusing to submit to Dutch rule.
During the government of the Dutch East Indies, early 19th century, it was king Bolango’s initiative to migrate to Bolaang Mongondow. It was done in waves with different travel routes. They arrived at Molibagu, called by many people as the place where the land licked Putri Daopeyago.
The last king, who reigned was Paduka Raja Hassan van Gobel, founded Molibagu which later became Bolaang Uki Subdistrict.
King Hasan Van Gobel then set up a country called the kingdom of Bolaang Uki. It is said that the kingdom was there until 1950.
List of kings of Bolaang Uki
1. Wintu-wintu raja di pulau Lembe
2. Dotulango raja di Minahasa/Tonsea Lama
7. Mogolaigo II
8. Sangian Datu
20. Iskandar Budiman van Gobel (1856-1886)
21. Ali Akbar (1866-1895)
22. Willem van Gobel (1895-1903)
23. Hassan van Gobel (1903-1911)
24. Jusuf van Gobel (Jogugu)
Grave of the last king of Bolang Uki: Raja Arie Hasan Gobel(1912-1979)
Paduka Raja Hasan van Gobel, from Kerajaan Bolaang Uki in clothes of king highness, taking picture beside Kursi Macan
Photo of Paduka Raja Arie Bansye Hasan van Gobel in clothes of custom of Kerajaan Bolaang Ukii it’s only weared by king during the period. Sumber – Rillya Gobel, FB
Map of Bolaang Uki, Bolaang Itang, Bolaang Mongondow and Kaidipang, 1894
Map of Gorontalo begin 20th century