The kingdom of Surabaya: 1365 – 18th century. Located in the province of East Jawa, city of Surabaya.
Location of Surabaya
* Foto sultans and kings, today on Jawa: link
* Foto keratons (palaces) on Jawa: link
* Foto Batavia (Jakarta) in the past: link
* Foto Jawa in the past: link
* Attack of Batavia by Sultan Agung, 1628/1628: link
* Foto Diponegoro – war, 1825: link
* Foto old sites on Jawa: link
History of the kingdom
The Kingdom of Surabaya is thought to be found in 1365, so, much older than the Mataram kingdom, which was founded in 1577. However, Surabaya was officially disbanded after the power of Mataram in Bang Wetan went to the Company, in 1755. The kingdom of Surabaya, was not free from the influence of power. But the power of Surabaya disappeared totally, when Van Imhoff, of the Dutch East Indies, visited Surabaya on 11 April 1746. Iit is estimated, that this kingdom existed no less than 375 years.
List of kings
- Kyai Sinuhun Ngampeldenta (Pangeran Rakhman) (c. 1500)
- Pecat Tanda Terung (Pate Bubat?) (fl. 1513?)
- Pangeran Tundungmusuh [son]
- Pangeran Lena [son]
- Pangeran Jebuk [son]
- Pangeran Wanakrama (Wiryakrama?) (late16 th century) [son]
- Panembahan Rama [son]
- Pangeran Surabaya [son]
- Pangeran Sunjaya [brother]
- Raden Jayalengkara (?-1625; died 1630)
- Surabaya ditaklukkan Mataram
The Keraton (Palace)
Surabaya, a metropolitan city today, also had a palace. The name is the Palace of Surabaya. Not many people know about the existence of the Palace of Surabaya.
Baliwerti area or Kramat Gantung Street area, there are several alleys named Kraton. One of the physical markers of the existence of the kingdom of Surabaya is a building, that is thought to be a gate entrance of the palace. The gate is located in Gang II. The current condition is sandwiched between a store house.