The kingdom of Kuala Bate was located on Sumatera, at Pantai Barat Aceh, in the district Aceh Barat Daya. Prov. Aceh.
During the sultanate of Aceh this kingdom was a vassal or subordinate to the sultan of Aceh and was led by the king who had the title of Uleebalang.
After the end of the Aceh War, in 1914, Kuala Batee entered Onderafdeling Tapak Tuan, as “swapraja”.
About the king today (2017)
The king today is: Teuku Raja Nasruddin.
In ancient times, around 1785, on the coast of Aceh West Coast there were many small kingdoms, the exact location of the kingdom narrated in this story is in the Sub-district of Kuala Batee bordering Susoh Sub-district, Aceh Barat Daya District now, before the destruction of the kingdom of Kuala Batu, by the American navy in 1832. The kingdom of Kuala Batee was actually a fragment of the Lama Muda kingdom, which was a continuation of the Lama Tuha kingdom, because the kingdom of Lama Tuha was destroyed by floods in the mid-18th century (1740).
The kingdom of Kuala Batee was destroyed after being attacked by the United States navy in 1832.
Palace of the last ruling raja of Kuala Batuu-Kuala Batee in West Aceh- Raja Teuku Cut Din; made in 1930. Source: ayah arminsyah, FB
USA attack on Kuala Batee, 1832
A tragic incident occurred in 1832 on the west coast of Aceh, Sumatra island. Potomac frigates are US warships, had punished the people of Kuala Batee (Battle of Quallah Battoo). Ports and fortresses were destroyed, because its people were blamed pirating American merchant ship Friendship the pepper trade in the region.
A sudden attack at night, February 6, 1832, 260 US Marines under the Command William Shubrick landed in Kuala Batee, and besieged the fortresses. This attack did not get resistance, slaughter and arson occurred in the port city of Kuala Batee.
This incident occurred as a result of actions pirates, perhaps from the Aceh cheeky, have resulted in the destruction of the people of Kuala Batee, and blamed the good name of the kingdom of Aceh Darussalam in the international trade arena.
– Source: https://steemit.com/aceh/@vannour/american-war-fleet-attacked-the-western-coast-of-aceh
About the small kingdoms in Aceh
The western part of the kingdom of Aceh Darussalam was opened and built in the 16th century on the initiative of Sultan Saidil Mukamil (Sultan of Aceh who lived between 1588-1604), followed by Sultan Iskandar Muda (Sultan of Aceh who lived in 1607-1636) the Acehnese Rayeuk and Pidie.
The first bustling area was at Meulaboh bay (Pasi Karam) ruled by a king who was titled Teuku Keujruen Meulaboh, and Negeri Daya (District Jaya) which at the end of the 15th century had established a kingdom with its king is Sultan Salatin Alaidin Riayat Shah with the title Poteu Meureuhom Daya.
The area of West Aceh at the end of the 17th century had developed into several small kingdoms led by a Uleebalang, namely: Kluang; Lamno; Kuala Lambeusoe; Kuala Daya; Kuala Unga; Babah Awe, and many more.
The structure of government of the small kingdoms
1) Gampong, the leader was called Geucik or Keuchik. The smallest territorial area of the government structure in Aceh was the Gampong. A Gampong consisted of groups of houses adjacent to each other.
The leader of the gampong was called Geucik or Keuchik, who was assisted by a proficient in religious matters, as Teungku Meunasah.
2) Mukim, the leader was called Imum Mukim. The larger territorial area of government was the Mukim. The Mukim was a combination of several gampongs, which were located nearby.
The leader of Mukim was called Imum Mukim. He was the one who coordinated the village (gampong) heads or Keuchik-Keuchik.
3) Sago or Sagoe, the leader was called Commander Sagoe or Panglima Sagi. In the Aceh region of Rayeuk (District Aceh Besar now), was a form of government called Sagoe or Sagi. The entire region of Aceh Rayeuk was incorporated into three Sagi, which can be regarded as three federations. The three Sagoe or Sagi were named:
1. Sagi XXII Mukim, consisted of 22 mukim.
2. Siva XXV Mukim, consisted of 25 mukim
3. Sagi XXVI Mukim, consisted of 26 Mukim
The leader was called Panglima Sagoe or Panglima Sagi, from generation to generation, they also hold the title of Uleebalang.
They were appointed as Panglima Sagi by the Sultan of Aceh, who gave them a stamp of the Kingdom of Aceh known as Cap Sikureung.
4) Nangroe, the leader was called Uleebalang. Another form of royal territory found in Aceh was called Nangroe or Negeri. This Nangroe was actually a conquered area of the Kingdom of Aceh and was located outside Aceh Inti or Aceh Rayeuk.
The leadership of Nangroe was called Uleebalang, which was established by tradition for generations.
The Uleebalang was the Head of State of the small kingdoms who were very powerful. However, when they assume the position of Uleebalang in their area, they had to be approved by the Sultan of Aceh. The Appointment Letter was called Sarakata and stamped with the stamp of the Kingdom of Aceh, Cap Sikureung.
5) The Sultan. The highest level in the government structure of the Kingdom of Aceh was the central government based in the royal capital, formerly known as Bandar Aceh Dar as Salam. The head of the central government was the Sultan who had the title of Tuanku.
Map of the Uleebalang (small kingdoms) in Aceh 1917
Source Kuala Bate (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kerajaan Kuala Bate: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=150189015102399&id=290866867594415
– Sejarah kerajaan Kuala Batee di Wiki: link
– Battle of Kuala Bate (1832): http://kualabatee.blogspot.co.id/
– Battle of Kuala Bate di Wiki (1832): link
– Tentang Uleebalang: http://melayuonline.com/ind/encyclopedia/detail/310/uleebalang
– Tentang Uleebalang: Wiki
– Gelar-gelar dalam kerajaan Aceh: http://uleelheu.blogspot.nl/2014/06/gelar-gelar-dalam-kerajaan-aceh.html
Source (only indon. language)
– Uleebalang di Aceh: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesultanan_Aceh#Ul.C3.A8.C3.ABbalang_.26_Pembagian_Wilayah
– Uleebalang di kesultanan Aceh: https://www.kompasiana.com/ruslan./siapakah-uleebalang_552c324c6ea83444128b4580
– Sejarah Uleebalang: https://www.facebook.com/boy.adityamawardi/posts/771874096190147
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://febasfi.blogspot.co.id/2012/11/struktur-atau-lembaga-pemerintahan.html
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://helmiyymailcom.blogspot.co.id/2012/10/struktur-pemerintahaan-kerajaan-aceh.html
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://wartasejarah.blogspot.co.id/2013/07/kerajaan-aceh.html
– Tentang uleebalang: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ul%C3%A8%C3%ABbalang