The kingdom of Wewewa (Waijewa) was founded by the “Korte Verklaring” on 23 dec. 1913.
Located on the island of Sumba. Prov. Nusa Tenggara Timur.
About the kingdom
This kingdom consists of several customary territories, namely Lewata, Mangutana, Mbaliloko, Pola, Weemangura, Taworara, Rara, Ede and Tanamaringi. By the time Korte Verklaring was signed, the king was Mete Umbu Pati. After his death he was succeeded by his son, Mbulu Engge.
In 1934 Mbulu Engge was exiled to Sumbawa Besar for involvement in legal proceedings. Since then, the kingdom of Wewewa was divided into three territoriesn which were all under a government commission: the Lewata-Mangutana territory ruled by the king of Wada Mbombo, Weemangur district with the auxiliary king of Gidion Mbulu and the Pola (Palla) territory with the auxiliary king Jakub Inangele.
This commission was under the supervision of Louli king, Chef Umbu Daka. After returning from exile, Mbulu Engge was re-elected as king of Wewewa until a change of governmental system in 1962.
Map of Sumba, 1925
click for larger
List of kings
1879 Wewewa state founded.
* 1879 – 1912: Luku Lewa
* 1912 – 1934: Malo Umbu Pati
* 1935 – 1962: Bulu Engge
The kingdoms on Sumba
The people of Sumba generally have no kingdom in their traditional system of government. There are only villages led by a head of each village, customary rules that apply in each village. However, during Dutch colonial rule, to facilitate control, the Dutch began to establish relationships with village heads. They entered into a contract of cooperation, in which each traditional ruler who signed the contract (often called the Short Placard Contract or Korte Verklaring) was officially recognized and called the king and given stick as a sign of power. From here tokko (stick) became popular. There are two types of rods of gold-headed stick (tokko ndoko) given to the main king, and silver-headed stick (tokkoamaho kaka) for auxiliary king.
The king, who had the approval of the Dutch government had to recognize the sovereignty of the Dutch authorities and one of his important duties was to tax the Dutch interests. Thus their sovereignty has actually been under the control of other nations, but de facto the kings remain sovereign and highly respected by their people and through them the Dutch powers the entire community. At first there were the heads of the villages, who did not bow to and against the Dutch government, but because of the strong military strength they finally surrendered and submitted to the power of the Dutch.
– Source: http://jacktenabolo18.blogspot.co.id/2014/12/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-sumba-masyarakat.html
The kingdoms on Sumba are:
Kodi Bangedo: kingdom on south west Sumba
Kodi Bokol: kingdom on south west Sumba
Kodi: kingdom on south west Sumba
Laura: kingdom on south west Sumba
Waijewa: kingdom on south west Sumba
Lauli: kingdom on west Sumba
Wanokaka: kingdom on west Sumba
Gaura: kingdom on west Sumba
Laboya: kingdom on west Sumba
Anakalang, kingdom on central Sumba
Umbu Ratu Nggay: kingdom on central Sumba
Tapundung: kingdom on central Sumba
Mamboru: kingdom on central Sumba
Lawonda: kingdom on central Sumba
Lakoka: kingdom on central Sumba
Rende, Rendi: kingdom on east Sumba
Napu: kingdom on east Sumba
Menyili: kingdom on east Sumba
Melolo: kingdom on east Sumba
Karera: kingdom on east Sumba
Massu: kingdom on east Sumba
Massu Karera: kingdom on east Sumba
Lewa: kingdom on east Sumba
Waijelu: kingdom on east Sumba
Kambera: kingdom on east Sumba
Kanatang: kingdom on east Sumba
Kapunduk, kingdom on east Sumba
Pau, kingdom on east Sumba
Riung, kingdom on east Sumba
Umalulu, kingdom on east Sumba
Source (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kerajaan Wewewa: http://jacktenabolo18.blogspot.co.id/2014/12/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-sumba-masyarakat.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Wewewa: http://kitorangflobamora.blogspot.co.id/2015/12/sejarah-kerajaan-wewewa-dan-kerajaan.html
– Daftar raja Wewewa: http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Indonesia_princely_states2.html
– Kisah Kerajaan Wewewa dan Kodi: http://www.moripanet.com/2013/06/kisah-kerajaan-wewewa-dan-kodi.html
– Kerajaan kerajaan di Sumba: http://jacktenabolo18.blogspot.co.id/2014/12/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-sumba-masyarakat.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Sumba barat: https://www.facebook.com/notes/john-malahina/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-sumba-barat/10152624675666115
– Sejarah Sumba: http://www.moripanet.com/2013/09/mengenal-sejarah-sumba-ntt.html
– Sumba masa kolonial: http://www.umbugoda.blogspot.co.id/2014/01/masa-kolonial-pulau-sumba.html
– Tentang pulau Sumba: http://www.umbugoda.blogspot.co.id/search?updated-max=2014-02-13T20:11:00-08:00&max-results=50&reverse-paginate=true
– Suku Sumba: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suku_Sumba
– Suku Sumba: http://kebudayaanindonesia.net/kebudayaan/990/suku-sumba-nusa-tenggara-timur