The Kingdom of Bolaang Mongondow is a kingdom of the Mongondow People; located in the district Bolaang Mongondow, prov. of north Sulawesi. This kingdom exists since the 17th century.
District Bolaang Mongondow
Foto kingdom of Bolaang Mongondow: below
Line of kingdoms on Sulawesi: link
Foto kingdoms on Sulawesi
Video history kingdoms on Sulawesi
– Video history kingdoms on Sulawesi, 40.000 BC – 2018: link
– Video history kingdoms on South Sulawesi, 1AD – 2020: link
– Video history kingdoms on Sulawesi Tenggara, 50.000 BC – 2020: link
– Video history kingdoms on North Sulawesi, 4000 BC – today: link
1) kingdom of Bolaang Mongondow,
2) Kingdom of Bolango, which later became Kingdom of Bolaang Uki located in Walugu,
3) Kingdom of Bintauna, changed several times the capital: Panayo, Minanga, dan Pimpi,
4) Kingdom of Bolaang Itang located in Bolaang Itang,
5) Kingdom of Kaidipang with as capital Buroko.
The kingdom was founded in 1670 AD by a Mongondow prince Datu Loloda Mokoagow (died 1695). He was the son of the paramount chief of Mongondow, Tadohe (1600–1670), seated in Kotobangon in the heartland of Mongondow plateau, while the prince established himself at the port settlement of Bola’ang and went to conquer many of the northern shores and inland settlements of present-day Minahasa regencies of northern Celebes peninsula. When he succeeded his father in 1670, he titled himself datu (king) instead of the traditional Mongondow title of punu (paramount chief). This marked the beginning of Kingdom of Bola’ang.
At its peak, the kingdom covered Bola’ang (present-day Bola’ang village), Mongondow plateau (present-day Kotamobagu city and its vicinity), Kotabunan (present-day Kotabunan of Bola’ang Mongondow Timur regency), Mandolang port (present-day Belang of Minahasa Tenggara regency), the banks of Ranoyapo river including Tumpa’an, Tareran, Tanawangko, and Tateli (present-day Minahasa Selatan regency), Umuda (present-day Amurang city), Manarow (present-day Manado-Tua island), and Wenang (present-day Manado city).
However, on September 21, 1694, a contractual agreement to establish new territorial borders was signed between the Kingdom of Bola’ang and the newly unified federation of Minahasan tribes, backed by the Dutch. The borders were established along Poigar river as the northern border and along Buyat river as its southerly counterpart. The border thus divided the westside territory for Bola’ang and the eastside territory for Minahasan people, which made the kingdom of Bola’ang lose all of its territories and subjects on the east side of the borders. Thus, it left only Mongondow plateau and the adjacent Kotabunan as the territory of the Bola’ang, hence the name Kingdom of Bola’ang-Mongondow was used thereafter.
– Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Bolaang_Mongondow
King Manuel Manoppo
House of the king
House of the king of Bolmong, foto by Paul dan Fritz Sarasin 22 desember 1893.
List of kings
1) 1400 – 1460: Punu` Mokodoludut
2) 1460 – 1480: Punu` YayuBangkai
3) 1480 – 1510: Punu` Damopolii
4) 1510 – 1540: Punu` Busisi
5) 1560 – 1600: Punu` Mokodompit
6) 1600 – 1650: Punu` Tadohe
7) 1653 – 1694: Raja Loloda Mokoagow atau Datu Binangkang
8) 1694 – 1695: Raja Yakobus Manoppo
9) 1695 – 1731: Raja Fransiscus Manoppo
10) 1735 – 1748 dan 1756 – 1764: Raja Salomon Manoppo
11) 1764 – 1767: Raja Egenius Manoppo
12) 1767 – 1770: Raja Christofeel Manoppo
13) 1770 – 1773: Raja Markus Manoppo
14) 1773 – 1779: Raja Manuel Manoppo
15) 1825 – 1829: Raja Cornelius Manoppo
16) 1829 – 1833: Raja Ismail Cornelis Manoppo
17) 1833 – 1858: Raja Yakobus Manuel Manoppo
18) 1858 – 1862: Raja Adreanus Cornelis Manoppo
19) 1862: Raja Yohanes Manuel Manoppo
20) 1886 – 1893: Raja Abraham Sugeha atau Datu Pinonigad
21) 1893 – 1901: Raja Riedl Manuel Manoppo
22) 1901 – 1928: Raja Datu Cornelius Manoppo
23) 1928 – 1938: Raja Laurens Cornelius Manoppo
24) 1947 – 1950: Raja Henny Yusuf Cornellius Manoppo
Riedel Manuel Manoppo, 1893-1902
DC Manoppo was the first king to rule the Bolaang Mongondow kingdom from 3 October 1905 until he died on 12 February 1927.
The prime minister of the Bolaang Mongondow Kingdom with his family, in front of his house, 1925.
House of the king of Bolaang Mongondow
House of the king of Bolmong, fotoed by Paul dan Fritz Sarasin 22 desember 1893.
From right: Datu (king) Bolaang Mongondow, Sultan of Ternate, Sultan of Gowa, Sultan Bima and Raja of Bali. 1930 or 1936
Patra Mokoginta (A.P. Mokoginta) was born in Bolaan, May 15, 1885. Son of Bua Dabo Sugeha and Abo Mundung Mokoginta, served as Djogugu (Mangkubumi) of the Bolaang Mongondow (Bolmong) Kingdom, from 1911 to 1928.
Old maps of the Bolaang region
Map of kingdom Bolaang Mongondow, 1888
Map of kingdom of Bolaang Mongondow (19th century)