The kingdom of Bawean was located on Jawa, on the island of Bawean, District Gresik, Jawa Timur.
This kingdom was founded in the 16th century.
Location of the island of Bawean
* Foto sultans and kings, today on Jawa: link
* Foto keratons (palaces) on Jawa: link
* Foto Batavia (Jakarta) in the past: link
* Foto Jawa in the past: link
* Attack of Batavia by Sultan Agung, 1628/1628: link
* Foto Diponegoro – war, 1825: link
* Foto old sites on Jawa: link
About the king today (2018)
Foto (2013): member of the dynasty-family of the kingdom of Bawean: YM Raden Abdul Wahib.
History of the kingdom
BAWEAN name appeared in the 13th century, this name was given by Majapahit (one of the largest kingdom in the archipelago) which anchored in Bawean after the ship hit by storm and called it BAWEAN which in sansakerta means sunrise. Based on the manuscripts that exist in Sangkapura, Bawean island was previously known as Majdi Island because of its round shape like a coin.
Beginning of the 16th century precisely in 1501 Islam entered the Bawean brought by Sayyid Maulana Ahmad Sidik or known by the name of Maulana Umar Mas’ud or Prince Perigi as well as running the governance on the island of Bawean next Bawean Island led by descendants Umar Masud such as Purbonegoro, Cokrokusumo and so on until the last Raden Ahmad Pashai.
In 1720-1747 Bawean Island was under a government led by the prince Purbonegoro, the fifth descendant of Sheikh Maulana Umar Mas’ud.
In 1870-1879 Bawean Island became an Asistent Resident Afdeeling under the Resident of Soerabaya. During this time Bawean Island was divided into two sub-districts namely Sangkapura and Tambak sub-districts led by a Wedana with the last Wedana named Mas Adi Koesoema (1899-1903).
Rulers of the kingdom
NB: Pangeran = prince
1601 – 1630: Syeikh Maulana Umar Mas’ud ( Maulana Siddik)
1630 – 1661: Raden Achmad Ilyas-Pangeran Agung
1661 – 1690: Pangeran Adipati Tjokronegoro
1690 – 1719: Pangeran Notonegoro
1719 – 1720: Pangeran Tjokroningrat
1720 – 1747: Pangeran Purbonegoro
1747 – 1789: Raden Pandji Prabunegoro-Raden Tumenggung Pandji Tjokrokusumo
Island of Bawean 1780
Source (only indon. language)
– Sejarah pulau Bawean: http://wiyonggoputih.blogspot.co.id/2015/06/sejarah-di-pulau-bawean-gresik.html
– Raja Islam pertama di Bawean: http://www.inigresik.com/2015/06/raja-islam-pertama-di-bawean.html
– Antara Surakarta dan Bawean: http://piratesboyan.blogspot.co.id/2012/05/antara-surakarta-dan-bawean.html
– Daftar penguasa Bawean: https://baweanbahasa.wordpress.com/2016/10/18/silsilah-keradenan-bawean/