The king today (2017)
King of the kingdom of Dolog Silou. Foto sept. 2017
The kingdom of Simalungun was finally able to attend the Festival of Keraton Nusantara (FKN) XI held in Cirebon city from 15 to 19 September 2017. The three heirs of King Simalungun who came from the Kingdom of Dologsilou – clan Purba Tambak, Kingdom Raya – Saragih Garingging and Siantar Kingdom – the Damanic clan.
There was an interesting thing that happened at the Welcome Dinner which was held on Friday night (15/9/2017) to welcome all participants of Kraton Nusantara XI Cirebon Festival. Because of the new participants, there was a sense of curiosity from the people who attended to meet and take selfie photos with the kings of the Simalungun kingdom. The participation of 3 royal heirs from Simalungun at this festival is a historic moment for the royal family of Simalungun and for the people of Simalungun generally.
History of the kingdom
In the XIV century civil war broke out in the Silou Kingdom among sons of Silou king, and the Kingdoms of Panei and Dologsilou were founded, from the Clan Purba Sidasuha and the Clan Purba Tambak Lombang.
The kingdom of Silou is one of the oldest kingdoms in East Sumatra. As the successor of the Kingdom of Nagur it changed its name to Nagur Bolag Silou and founded a confederation state. From this confederation of Aceh came four kingdoms: Silou, Panei, Siantar, and Batang iou (Tanoh Jau became later Tanah Jawa). The split within Silou’s empire led to the emergence of four new smaller powers: Dolog Silou, Silimakuta, Purba and Raya.
Thus there were seven kingdoms in Simalungun until the Dutch occupation of Dolog Silou, Silimakuta, Purba, Raya, Panei, Siantar and Tanah Java.
The Purba clan is a name, used for the ancestors of the kingdom of Silau.
The first descendants of the Purba Tampak were named Jigou with the title Penghulu Tambak Bawang.
The second ancestors also had the title Penghulu Tambak Bawang, until the installation of the king of Silau, was had his seat in Silau Bolak.
The king of Dolo Silau the 13th had the title Tuan Bandar Alam Purba Tambak and was the last king, because of the social revolution in 1946.
The old kingdoms today in District Simalungun
Kingdoms in the Simalungun area
In its history there are 3 (three) phases of kingdoms, that once ruled and reigned in Simalungun.
The first phase is the two kingdom phase (harajaon na dua):
NB: Marga = Clan
The second phase is the phase of 4 kingdoms:
The third phase is the phase of 7 kingdoms:
* Kingdom of Siantar (marga Damanik),
* Kingdom of Panai (marga Purba Dasuha),
* Kingdom of Silau (marga Purba Tambak),
* Kingdom of Tanoh Jawa (marga Sinaga),
* Kingdom of Raya (marga Saragih Garingging),
* Kingdom of Purba (marga Purba Pakpak) dan
* Kingdom of Silimakuta (marga Purba Girsang) (Damanik, 2010:1-2).
This third phase begins with the actions of the Dutch government to form a government in the Simalungun region, by treating Belsuit Governor General of the Dutch East Indies Stbl. No 531 of 1906 with the arrangement of seven Kingdoms, called “Napal Kings”.
Map of kingdoms in Sumatera Utara, 19th century
Source (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kerajaan Dolog Silou: http://sopopanisioan.blogspot.co.id/2014/04/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-simalungun.html
– Pembagian marga Purba, bentuknya Dolog Silou: http://www.akuntt.com/2014/02/pembagian-marga-purba.html
– Ritual kerajaan Dolog Silou: http://localnews2008.blogspot.co.id/2008/08/ritual-kerajaan-dolok-silou.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Simalungun: http://uun-halimah.blogspot.co.id/2007/12/raja-dan-kerajaan-di-simalungun.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Simalungun: http://awisaragih.blogspot.co.id/2011/03/kerajaan-simalungun-dan-siantar.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Simalungun: http://tondangmargana.blogspot.co.id/2013/02/sejarah-singkat-kerajaan-kerajaan.html
– Sejarah Suku Simalungun di Wiki: Wiki
– Marga marga Simalungun: link
– Sejarah marga Purba di Wiki: Wiki
– Sejarah marga Saragih di Wiki: link
– Sejarah marga Sinaga di Wiki: link
– Sejarah marga Damanik di Wiki: link
– Asal usul bangsa Simalungun: link