The Kingdom of Raya was a kingdom of the Simalungun People, Saragih Garingging clan; located on Sumatera, District Simalungun. Province of North Sumatera.
About the king today (2018)
King of Raya: Tuan Artalim Saragih Garinggin. Foto: sept. 2017.
The kingdom of Simalungun was finally able to attend the Festival of Keraton Nusantara (FKN) XI held in Cirebon city from 15 to 19 September 2017. The three heirs of King Simalungun who came from the Kingdom of Dologsilou – clan Purba Tambak, Kingdom Raya – Saragih Garingging and Siantar Kingdom – the Damanic clan.
There was an interesting thing that happened at the Welcome Dinner which was held on Friday night (15/9/2017) to welcome all participants of Kraton Nusantara XI Cirebon Festival. Because of the new participants, there was a sense of curiosity from the people who attended to meet and take selfie photos with the kings of the Simalungun kingdom. The participation of 3 royal heirs from Simalungun at this festival is a historic moment for the royal family of Simalungun and for the people of Simalungun generally.
History of the kingdom of Raya
The kingdoms in Simalungun are thought to have existed since at least the 14th century.
The oldest kingdom of Nagur is thought to have existed since the 5th century based on Chinese sources (Swi Dynasty).
The Nagur kingdom then broke into two: the kingdoms of Si Tonggang and Batangio. Batangio became the kingdom of Tanah Java. Si Tonggang became the kingdom of Siantar. There was still the kingdom of Silou.
The kingdom of Silou broke into the kingdom of Panei and the kingdom of Dolok Silau. Later, after the entry of the Dutch, Silau’s vassals, namely Purba, Raya and Silimakuta, were recognized as autonomous by the Dutch.
The first Saragih clan (Hasusuran-1) itself appeared when one of the Puanglima (Panglima) of the Nagur kingdom was made the son-in-law by the King of Nagur and then founded a new kingdom in Raya, around the area which is now called Pematang Raya. Tuan Pinang Sori was the first King to become king of Raya. The famous king of this kingdom was Tuan Rondahaim Saragih Garingging, who was brave against the Dutch, who could never be defeated by the Dutch until the end of his life. Tuan Yan Kaduk Saragih Garingging was the last and 17th king of this dynasty which ended during the bloody revolution in 1946.
Map of kingdoms on North Sumatera 19th century
About the Saragih Clan
List of kings kingdom of Raya
The first clan of Garingging (Hasusuran-1) appeared when one of the Panglima’s of the Nagur kingdom was made a son-in-law by King Nagur and established a new kingdom in Raya (around the area now called Pematang Raya, Simalungun).
Version 1 – Source: http://garinggingjaya.blogspot.co.id/
1) 1400: Sipinangsori Garingging, married to the daughter of King Nagur who did not have a male brother (1428).
2) 1430: Raja Raya, Tuan Lajang Raya (born 1430)
3) 1465: Raja Raya Khali (born 1465) (His name was used for the name of his kingdom, because no longer known what his real name)
4) 1500: Raja Gukguk (born 1500)
5) 1530: Raja Unduk (born 1530)
6) 1590: Raja Denggat (born 1590)
7) Raja Minggol
8) 1615: Raja Poso (born 1615)
9) 1640: Raja Nengel (born 1640) married with the daughter of the king of Panei, Boru Purba Dasuha
10) 1675: Raja Bolon (born 1675)
11) 1710: Raja Martuah (born 1710
12) 1755: Raja Raya Tuan Morahkalim (born 1755) Kakek Tuan Rondahaim Garingging
13) 1790-1826: Raja Raya Tuan Jimmahadim, Tuan Huta Dolog
14) Tuan Sinondang. (stepbrother of Tuan Jimmahadim)
15) Raja Raya Tuan Rondahaim (born 1828 in Simandamei – died 1891)
16) 1892: Raja Raya Tuan Sumayan (Hapoltakan) (born 1857, was installed as king in 1892)
17) Raja Raya Tuan Gomok (Bajaraya) (born 1881-1940 )
18) Tuan Yan Kaduk Saragih Garingging was the pioneer of the construction of the Sondiraya-Sindar highway (1940 – 1946). There was a social revolution. Tuan Aribert, who was born in 1947, has never been king because the social revolution of Simalungun in 1946 killed all the descendants of the king.
1. 1395-1435: Si Pinang Sori
2. 1430-1530: Tuan Lajang Raya
3. 1465-1540: Tuan Raya Simbolon
4. 1500-1570: Tuan Raya Gukguk
5. 1535-1595: Tuan Raya Unduk
6. 1560-1630: Tuan Raya Denggat
7. 1590-1660: Tuan Raya Minggol
8. 1615-1690: Tuan Raya Poso
9. 1640-1720: Tuan Raya Nengel
10. 1675-1750: Raja Bolon
11. 1710-1783: Raja Martuah
12. 1755-1810: Tuan Morah Kalim
13. 1790-1840: Tuan Jimmahadin
14. 1828-1889: Tuan Rondahaim
15. 1857-1932: Tuan Sumayan
16. 1881-1940: Tuan Gomok
17. 1922-1946: Tuan Jan Kaduk
Map of district Simalungun today with boundaries old kingdoms
History of the kingdoms in the Simalungun area
In its history there are 3 (three) phases of kingdoms, that once ruled and reigned in Simalungun.
The first phase is the two kingdom phase (harajaon na dua):
NB: Marga = Clan
The second phase is the phase of 4 kingdoms:
The third phase is the phase of 7 kingdoms:
* Kingdom of Siantar (marga Damanik),
* Kingdom of Panai (marga Purba Dasuha),
* Kingdom of Silau (marga Purba Tambak),
* Kingdom of Tanoh Jawa (marga Sinaga),
* Kingdom of Raya (marga Saragih Garingging),
* Kingdom of Purba (marga Purba Pakpak) dan
* Kingdom of Silimakuta (marga Purba Girsang) (Damanik, 2010:1-2).
This third phase begins with the actions of the Dutch government to form a government in the Simalungun region, by treating Belsuit Governor General of the Dutch East Indies Stbl. No 531 of 1906 with the arrangement of seven Kingdoms, called “Napal Kings”.
Map of kingdoms in Sumatera Utara, 19th century
Source Raya (indon. language)
– Tentang kerajaan Raya: http://sopopanisioan.blogspot.co.id/2014/04/kerajaan-kerajaan-di-simalungun.html
– Daftar raja kerajaan Raya: http://garinggingjaya.blogspot.co.id/
– Daftar raja kerajaan Raya: https://putera-bataksimalungun.blogspot.co.id/2014/04/turiturian-pardongni-saragih-garingging.html
– Marga Saragih: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saragih
– Marga Saragih: https://bersamakom.wordpress.com/sejarah-marga-saragih/sejarah-marga-saragih/
Source Simalungun (indon. language)
– Sejarah kerajaan Simalungun: http://uun-halimah.blogspot.co.id/2007/12/raja-dan-kerajaan-di-simalungun.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Simalungun: http://awisaragih.blogspot.co.id/2011/03/kerajaan-simalungun-dan-siantar.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Simalungun: http://tondangmargana.blogspot.co.id/2013/02/sejarah-singkat-kerajaan-kerajaan.html
– Suku Simalungun di Wiki: Wiki
– Marga marga Simalungun: https://batakculture.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/marga-marga-di-simalungun/
– Sejarah marga Purba di Wiki: Wiki
– Sejarah marga Saragih di Wiki: Wiki
– Sejarah marga Sinaga di Wiki: Wiki
– Sejarah marga Damanik di Wiki: Wiki
– Asal usul bangsa Simalungun: link