The kingdom of Pat Petulai was located on Sumatera, provinsi Bengkulu.
* Foto ancient sites, tribes on Sumatera and old Sumatera: link
History of the kingdom
Pat Petulai comes from the word Pat Petu Loi which means Four Great Doors. Tanah Rejang was formerly named Renah Sekalawi and had been occupied by the Rejang Nation. It was king of Ajai who was believed to lead a group of people. The people continued to develop, the four Ajai from these four regions agreed to hold a meeting to determine the limits of power of each region, which was finally called by the name Jang Pat Petuloi.
Among the kings names and places are still recognized today:
1. Ajai Bitang in Dusun Pelabai (Pelabi) Lebong (Marga Tribe IX now),
2. Ajai Begeleng Mato in Kutai Belek Tebo Lebong (Marga Tribe VIII now),
3. Afternoon Day in Dusun Hari Lekat Lebong (Marga Jurukalang)
4. Ajai Tiea Keteko at Dusun Bandar Agung Lebong (Marga Tribe IX now).
After the end of the Ajai era arose the era of Biku / Bikau (Monk). Around the 12th or 13th century or about 600 and 700 years ago these four monks came to Renah Sekalawi (Lebong) from Majapahit Kingdom. It is said that these four men were sons of the king of Majapahit. The four men were escorted by guards and their destination was Renah Sekalawi (Lebong) Pinang Belapis according to the history is to seek the country and will be led by each of four sons of King Majapahit.
History of the kingdoms in Bengkulu
- Kingdom of Sungai Serut
- Kingdom of Selebar
- Kingdom of Pat Petulai
- Kingdom of Balai Buntar
- Kingdom of Sungai Lemau
- Kingdom of Sekiris
- Kingdom of Gedung Agung
- Kingdom of Marau Riang
Some kingdoms became vazal of the sultanate of Banten. In some areas of Bengkulu some have also been under the authority of the Kingdom of Inderapura since the 17th century. The British East India Company (EIC) had since 1685 established the Bencoolen / Coolen pepper trade center, derived from the English “Cut Land”, which means broken ground, since this bengkulu area is the most active earthquake fault zone in the world and then the warehouse in place which is now the city of Bengkulu.
At that time, the EIC expedition was led by Ralph Ord and William Cowley to find a replacement for the pepper center after the Port of Banten fell into the hands of the VOC, and the EIC was barred from trading there. The Treaty of the Empire on July 12, 1685 permitted England to erect fortresses and various commercial buildings. The York Castle was founded in 1685 around the mouth of the Serut River.
From 1714, a fortress called Marlborough was built and completed in 1719 which remains standing today. However, the company gradually realized it was not profitable, because it did not produce enough pepper.
Since the implementation of the London Agreement in 1824, Bengkulu was handed over to the Netherlands in exchange for Malacca as well as affirmation of ownership of Tumasik / Singapore and Belitung Island. Since that agreement Bengkulu became part of the Dutch East Indies.
The discovery of the gold deposit in Rejang Lebong area in the second half of the 19th century made it a gold mining center until the 20th century. Now, commercial mining activities have been discontinued since the depletion of the deposit.
Old maps of Sumatera
For old maps of Sumatera (1565, 1588, 1598, 1601, 1616, 1620, 1707, 1725, 1760), klik here
Source (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kerajaan Pat Petulai: http://blogkasihpunya.blogspot.nl/2017/01/kerajaan-pat-petulai-bengkulu.html
– Tentang Pat Petulai: https://frisztado.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/tembo-sejarah-suku-rejang-bagian-2/
– Sejarah Bengkulu: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengkulu