The Kingdom of Kaur: founded in 1697; located in Prov. Bengkulu, Sumatera.
History of the kingdom
The Kingdom of Kaur was founded in about 1697 by Prince Raja Luwih, who has the title of Sebrani Gunung Kaur, who was the Son of the couple Dewa Sekanjang Hitam and Dewa Sekanjang Putih, who was the Brother of Ratu Darah Putih of the Ruler of the Kingdom of Banten in the past.
The height of glory of the Kingdom of Kaur was during the reign of King Negara Muda or Pangeran Cungkai around 1840. This kingdom suffered a decline due to its involvement in a very long war with the Dutch Company.
Starting from the support given by the Kaur kingdom to Datu of Pasemah, who fought against the Dutch Company in the war of the Jati in 1825. Until finally the king of the young country was forced to evacuate the Chinese crown in 1842, and the royal throne had to be handed over to his daughter, Queen Dale, moved the royal center of the inland region, precisely the second region, which is now included in the vast Kecamatan, Kabupaten Kaur.
History of the kingdoms in Bengkulu
- Kingdom of Sungai Serut
- Kingdom of Selebar
- Kingdom of Pat Petulai
- Kingdom of Balai Buntar
- Kingdom of Sungai Lemau
- Kingdom of Sekiris
- Kingdom of Gedung Agung
- Kingdom of Marau Riang
Some kingdoms became vazal of the sultanate of Banten. In some areas of Bengkulu some have also been under the authority of the Kingdom of Inderapura since the 17th century. The British East India Company (EIC) had since 1685 established the Bencoolen / Coolen pepper trade center, derived from the English “Cut Land”, which means broken ground, since this bengkulu area is the most active earthquake fault zone in the world and then the warehouse in place which is now the city of Bengkulu.
At that time, the EIC expedition was led by Ralph Ord and William Cowley to find a replacement for the pepper center after the Port of Banten fell into the hands of the VOC, and the EIC was barred from trading there. The Treaty of the Empire on July 12, 1685 permitted England to erect fortresses and various commercial buildings. The York Castle was founded in 1685 around the mouth of the Serut River.
From 1714, a fortress called Marlborough was built and completed in 1719 which remains standing today. However, the company gradually realized it was not profitable, because it did not produce enough pepper.
Since the implementation of the London Agreement in 1824, Bengkulu was handed over to the Netherlands in exchange for Malacca as well as affirmation of ownership of Tumasik / Singapore and Belitung Island. Since that agreement Bengkulu became part of the Dutch East Indies.
The discovery of the gold deposit in Rejang Lebong area in the second half of the 19th century made it a gold mining center until the 20th century. Now, commercial mining activities have been discontinued since the depletion of the deposit.
Source Kaur (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kerajaan Kaur: http://imrodili.blogspot.co.id/2011/01/sejarah-kaur-asal-mula-bintuhan.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Kaur: http://wargakaur.blogspot.co.id/2013/09/sejarah-kerajaan-kaur.html
– Tentang Pangeran Cungkai: http://kupasbengkulu.com/kisah-kesaktian-pangeran-cungkai-di-kaur-bisa-terbang-dan-menghilang/
Source Bengkulu (english)
– History of Bengkulu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengkulu#History
Source Bengkulu (only indon. language)
– Sejarah Bengkulu: http://www.referensibebas.com/2017/09/sejarah-dan-profil-provinsi-bengkulu.html
– Sejarah Bengkulu: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengkulu#Sejarah