The kingdom of Teunom was located on Sumatera, District Aceh Jaya, Kab. Aceh Jaya, prov. Aceh.
During the sultanate of Aceh this kingdom was a vassal or subordinate to the sultan of Aceh and was led by the king who had the title of Uleebalang.
After the end of the Aceh War, in 1914, Teunom entered Onderafdeling Calang, as “swapraja”.
District Aceh Jaya
About the king of Teunom today (2017)
King of Teunom: Teuku Radja Reza Fahlefi.
History of the kingdom of Teunom
Initially in Aceh were many small kingdoms, spread throughout the region of Aceh. In Aceh Besar were the Indra Patra kingdom and Indra Purba kingdom. In Pidie was the Kingdom of Pedir, in Central Aceh the Linga kingdom (Linge) and the Daya kingdom in Lamno, Teunom kingdom in Teunom, Trumon kingdom in Trumon and other small kingdoms in the Singkil region and Southeast Aceh Regions.
In the Dutch colonial era, the district of Aceh Jaya was an onderafdeeling of Afdeeling Westkust van Atjeh (Aceh Barat), one of the four afdeeling of the Aceh Provincial Territory. Afdeeling Westkust van Atjeh was an administrative area covering the west coast of Aceh from Mount Geurute to the Singkil and Simeulue Islands. Afdeeling is divided into six onderafdeeling, namely:
1. Meulaboh with capital Meulaboh.
2. Tjalang, with capital Tjalang (before 1910 the capital was Lhok Kruet). This region consisted of Keulueng, Kuala Daya, Lambeusoi, Kuala Unga, Lhok Kruet, Patek, Lageun, Rigaih, Krueng Sabee, dan Teunom.
3. Tapak Tuan with capital Tapak Tuan
4. Simeulue with capital Sinabang.
5. Zuid Atjeh with capital Bakongan
6. Singkil with capital Singkil.
King Teuku Uma of Teunom (1901-38).
About the kings
* Teuku Imum Muda,
* Teuku Raja Pulo,
* Teuku Raja Abdulullah,
* Teuku Puteh,
* Teuku Irsyad,
* Teuku Reza Fahlevi (2017).
Teuku Imum Muda was born around 1850. Appointed to the throne around 1872. Died of kidney disease 1901. The original name of Imum Muda was T Nyak Ali or Yusuf.
Followed by Teuku Oema. Why Teuku Oema continued ? Interesting because the blood of the second wife of Teuku Imuem Muda Cut intan had more royal blood. Cut Intan, wife of Teuku Imum Muda came from the kingdom of Bubon, namely Teuku keudjreun Amin from Bubon. After that, Teuku Oema was married to Teuku Puteh Panga’s son.
Teuku Raja Mahmud lhok Bubon was actually the grandson of Teuku Imum Tuha (father of young imum). So the kingdom of Bubon is royal blood too.
Teuku Raja Lam Ili assisted Teuku Imuem Muda leads Teunom after Imum Muda died. But not for long. For political matters of 1904 T Lama Ili returned to Great Aceh.
Teuku Oema ruled in the year of 13/5/1907. Teuku Oema died 1938. And after that year 17/2/1939, Teuku Sulaiman was in charge.
Teuku Sulaiman had children. Nyak Pulo. But his son just died earlier than him.
About the small kingdoms under the sultanate of Aceh
The western part of the kingdom of Aceh Darussalam was opened and built in the 16th century on the initiative of Sultan Saidil Mukamil (Sultan of Aceh who lived between 1588-1604), followed by Sultan Iskandar Muda (Sultan of Aceh who lived in 1607-1636) the Acehnese Rayeuk and Pidie.
The first bustling area was at Meulaboh bay (Pasi Karam) ruled by a king who was titled Teuku Keujruen Meulaboh, and Negeri Daya (District Jaya) which at the end of the 15th century had established a kingdom with its king is Sultan Salatin Alaidin Riayat Shah with the title Poteu Meureuhom Daya.
The area of West Aceh at the end of the 17th century had developed into several small kingdoms led by a Uleebalang, namely: Kluang; Lamno; Kuala Lambeusoe; Kuala Daya; Kuala Unga; Babah Awe, and many more.
The structure of government of the small kingdoms
1) Gampong, the leader was called Geucik or Keuchik. The smallest territorial area of the government structure in Aceh was the Gampong. A Gampong consisted of groups of houses adjacent to each other.
The leader of the gampong was called Geucik or Keuchik, who was assisted by a proficient in religious matters, as Teungku Meunasah.
2) Mukim, the leader was called Imum Mukim. The larger territorial area of government was the Mukim. The Mukim was a combination of several gampongs, which were located nearby.
The leader of Mukim was called Imum Mukim. He was the one who coordinated the village (gampong) heads or Keuchik-Keuchik.
3) Sago or Sagoe, the leader was called Commander Sagoe or Panglima Sagi. In the Aceh region of Rayeuk (District Aceh Besar now), was a form of government called Sagoe or Sagi. The entire region of Aceh Rayeuk was incorporated into three Sagi, which can be regarded as three federations. The three Sagoe or Sagi were named:
1. Sagi XXII Mukim, consisted of 22 mukim.
2. Siva XXV Mukim, consisted of 25 mukim
3. Sagi XXVI Mukim, consisted of 26 Mukim
The leader was called Panglima Sagoe or Panglima Sagi, from generation to generation, they also hold the title of Uleebalang.
They were appointed as Panglima Sagi by the Sultan of Aceh, who gave them a stamp of the Kingdom of Aceh known as Cap Sikureung.
4) Nangroe, the leader was called Uleebalang. Another form of royal territory found in Aceh was called Nangroe or Negeri. This Nangroe was actually a conquered area of the Kingdom of Aceh and was located outside Aceh Inti or Aceh Rayeuk.
The leadership of Nangroe was called Uleebalang, which was established by tradition for generations.
The Uleebalang was the Head of State of the small kingdoms who were very powerful. However, when they assume the position of Uleebalang in their area, they had to be approved by the Sultan of Aceh. The Appointment Letter was called Sarakata and stamped with the stamp of the Kingdom of Aceh, Cap Sikureung.
5) The Sultan. The highest level in the government structure of the Kingdom of Aceh was the central government based in the royal capital, formerly known as Bandar Aceh Dar as Salam. The head of the central government was the Sultan who had the title of Tuanku.
Map of the small kingdoms in Aceh 1917
– Sejarah Kab. Aceh Jaya: http://www.acehjayakab.go.id/index.php/component/k2/item/164-sejarah-kabupaten-aceh-jaya
– Uleebalang di Aceh: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesultanan_Aceh#Ul.C3.A8.C3.ABbalang_.26_Pembagian_Wilayah
– Uleebalang di kesultanan Aceh: https://www.kompasiana.com/ruslan./siapakah-uleebalang_552c324c6ea83444128b4580
– Sejarah Uleebalang: https://www.facebook.com/boy.adityamawardi/posts/771874096190147
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://febasfi.blogspot.co.id/2012/11/struktur-atau-lembaga-pemerintahan.html
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://helmiyymailcom.blogspot.co.id/2012/10/struktur-pemerintahaan-kerajaan-aceh.html
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://wartasejarah.blogspot.co.id/2013/07/kerajaan-aceh.html
– Tentang uleebalang: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ul%C3%A8%C3%ABbalang