Sultanate of Asahan: 1630 – 1946. Located on Sumatera, in the District of Asahan, province of North Sumatera.
Foto sultanate of Asahan
Line history kingdoms on Sumatera: link
Foto kingdoms / sultanates on Sumatera
Video history of the kingdoms / sultanates on Sumatera
SULTANATE OF ASAHAN
About the King
Present Sultan (2012): Sri Paduka Tuanku Sultan Dr. Kamal Abraham Abdul Jalil Rahmadsjah, Sultan Asahan the 12th.
In 1980 the present sultan was installed: link
History of the sultanate of Asahan, 1630–1946
The Sultanate of Asahan, on the North East coast of Sumatra, was founded by Raja ‘Abdu’l Jalil, son of Sultan Iskandar Muda of Aceh, ca. 1630. The state remained tributary to Aceh until the early years of the nineteenth century.
Raja Musa Shah died in 1808, leaving a posthumous son. However, the rules of succession did not allow a single day to elapse between the burial of the former ruler and the proclamation of his successor. Consequently, his younger brother succeeded as Raja ‘Ali Shah. Several nobles, especially those belonging to the Batak community, did not accept the new ruler. Raja Musa Shah’s infant prince was taken to Kualuh and proclaimed as ruler, eventually being accepted as Deputy ruler or Yang di-Pertuan Muda.
In the meantime, Raja ‘Ali Shah’s son established his independence from Aceh and assumed the title of Sultan Muhammad Husain Rahmad Shah. His long reign of forty-six years witnessed increasing European commercial contacts, and the conclusion of a contract with the government of the NEI. His death in 1859, precipitated a succession dispute between the descendants of Raja Musa Shah and those of Raja ‘Ali Shah.
The successors had problems with the Dutch authority in Batavia and this led to the relocation of the capital to the interior of the country. The Dutch intervened several times in the succession of the Sultans. The last ruler was Sultan Shaibun Abdul Jalil Rahmad Shah who succeeded his father in 1915. At the end of the Second World War, the sultanate was not restored to its former glory but incorporated into the new republic of Indonesia.
Location of sultanate of Asahan 1930
List of sultans
* 1630 – 16….: Sri Paduka Raja ‘Abdu’l Jalil I ibni al-Marhum Sultan Iskandar Muda Johan Berdaulat (al-Marhum Tangkahan Sitarak) king and Yang di-Pertuan Asahan
* 16…..- 17…..: Sri Paduka Raja Said Shah ibni al-Marhum Raja ‘Abdu’l Jalil (al-Marhum Simpang Tiga) king and Yang di-Pertuan Asahan.
* 17…. -1760: Sri Paduka Raja Muhammad Mahrum Shah ibni al-Marhum Raja Said Shah (al-Marhum Gagap Raja and Yang di-Pertuan Asahan.
* 1760 – 1765: Sri Paduka Raja ‘Abdu’l Jalil Shah II ibni al-Marhum Raja Muhammad Mahrum Shah (al-Marhum Mangkat di Sungei Raja Raja and Yang di-Pertuan Asahan.
* 1765 – 1805: Sri Paduka Raja Deva Shah ibni al-Marhum ‘Abdu’l Jalil (al-Marhum Mangkat di Pasir Putih Raja and Yang di-Pertuan Asahan.
* 1805 – 1808: Sri Paduka Raja Said Musa Shah ibni al-Marhum Raja Deva Shah (al-Marhum Mangkat di-Rantau Panjang Raja and Yang di-Pertuan Negara Asahan.
* 1808 – 1813: Sri Paduka Raja Muhammad ‘Ali Shah ibni al-Marhum Raja Deva Shah Raja and Yang di-Pertuan Negara Asahan.
* 1813 – 1859: Sri Paduka Tuanku Sultan Muhammad Husain Rahmad Shah I ibni al-Marhum Sultan Muhammad ‘Ali Shah (al-Marhum Kampung Masjid, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan Besar Asahan.
* 1859 – 1888: Sri Paduka Tuanku Sultan Ahmad Shah ibni al-Marhum Sultan Muhammad Husain Rahmad Shah, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan Besar Asahan.
* 1865 – 1867: Sri Paduka Tuanku Al-Haji ‘Abdu’llah Nikmatu’llah Shah ibni al-Marhum king Muhammad Ishak; king of Kualuh and Leidong and Yang di-Pertuan Muda Asahan.
* 1888 – 1915: Sri Paduka Tuanku Sultan Muhammad Husain Rahmad Shah II ibni al-Marhum Tengku Muhammad ‘Adil; Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan Asahan.
* 1915 – 1980: Sri Paduka Tuanku Sultan Sha’ibun ‘Abdu’l Jalil Rahmad Shah III ibnu al-Marhum Sultan Muhammad Husain; Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan Besar Asahan.
* 1980 – Sri Paduka Tuanku Sultan Dr. Kamal Abraham Abdul Jalil Rahmadsjah ibnu al-Marhum Sultan Sa’ibun Abdul Jalil Rahmadsjah; Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan Besar Asahan. –
Sultan Muhammad Husain Rahmad Shah II (ruled 1888-1915).
Palace Istana Indera Sakti
The replica of Asahan Palace is a replica of the Asahan Sultanate Palace. This building was inaugurated directly by Sultan of Asahan in 2010 ago.
The original Asahan palace itself was built in 1888 during the reign of Sultan Ahmadsyah.
The palace is located on Jalan Bendang, Sei Raja Village, Tualang Raso Sub-District, Tanjung Balai Town.
* Foto replika palace “Indra Sakti”: link
Palace “Indra Sakti” in the past
* Foto palace Ïndra Sakti” in the past: link
– Website Kesultanan: link
Map of kingdoms in Prov. North Sumatera, 19th century