The kingdom of Laeq, located on the island of Lombok.
Island of Lombok
Location of the island of Lombok
* List of the kingdoms on Lombok: link
* Video history kingdoms on Lombok and NTB: link
KINGDOM OF LAEQ
History of the kingdom of Laeq, 10th century
According to Babad Lombok, the oldest kingdom on this island was named Kingdom of LAeq (LAeq Sasak language means the past), but other sources, ie Babad Suwung, are stating, that the oldest kingdom on Lombok was the kingdom of Suwung, founded and led by King Betara Indera. The kingdom of Suwung was replaced by the Kingdom of Lombok. In the 9th century to the 11th century the kingdom of Sasak was defeated by a kingdom from Bali at that time. Some other kingdoms once on the island of Lombok, were among others, Pejanggik, Langko, Bayan, chock Samarkaton and Selaparang.
History of the kingdoms on Lombok
According to the contents of Babad Lombok, the oldest kingdom that once ruled on Lombok, was named kingdom of Laeq (in sasak laeq means past time), but another source namely Babad Suwung, declared that the oldest kingdom in Lombok was the Kingdom of Suwung, built and led by King Betara Indera. The kingdom of Suwung then was replaced by the kingdom of Lombok. In the 9th century until the 11th century existed the Sasak Kingdom which was later defeated by one of the kingdoms, who came from Bali at that time.
In Lombok, in its development, there are traces of the four main kingdoms, namely the Kingdom of Bayan in the west, Selaparang Kingdom in the East, Langko Kingdom in the middle, and Pejanggik Kingdom in the south. In addition to these four kingdoms, there were small kingdoms, such as Parwa and Sokong and several small villages, such as Pujut, Tempit, Kedaro, Batu Dendeng, Kuripan, Samarkaton and Kentawang. All these kingdoms and villages became independent territory after the Majapahit kingdom collapsed. Among the most prominent and most famous kingdoms and villages was the Lombok Kingdom based in Labuhan Lombok.
The Dutch had first visited Lombok in 1674 and the Dutch East India Company concluded its first treaty with the Sasak Princess of Lombok. The Balinese had managed to take over the whole island by 1750, but Balinese infighting resulted in the island being split into four feuding Balinese kingdoms. In 1838, the Mataram kingdom brought its rivals under control.
During one of the many Sasak peasant rebellions against the Balinese, Sasak chiefs sent envoys to the Dutch in Bali and invited them to rule Lombok. In June 1894, the governor general of the Dutch East Indies, Van der Wijck, signed a treaty with Sasak rebels in eastern Lombok. He sent a large army to Lombok and the Balinese raja capitulated to Dutch demands. (see Dutch intervention in Lombok) The younger princes however overruled the raja and attacked and pushed back the Dutch. The Dutch counterattacked overrunning Mataram and the raja surrendered. The entire island was annexed to the Netherlands East Indies in 1895. The Dutch ruled over Lombok’s 500,000 people with a force of no more than 250 by cultivating the support of the Balinese and Sasak aristocracy. The Dutch are remembered in Lombok as liberators from Balinese hegemony.
Source Kedatuan Laeq (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kedatuan Laeq: http://suparmanol.blogspot.co.id/2010/12/sejarah-kedatuan-sasak.html
– Sejarah kedatuan Laeq: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150302374310503
Source history of Lombok (english)
Source old kingdoms on Lombok (only indon. language)
– Sejarah Kedatuan kuno Sasak: http://suparmanol.blogspot.co.id/2010/12/sejarah-kedatuan-sasak.html
– Sejarah Kedatuan kuno Sasak: http://gdefik.blogspot.co.id/2012/10/kedatuan-di-gumi-sasak-1.html
– Sejarah kerajaan di Lombok: http://melayuonline.com/ind/history/dig/307/kerajaan-lombok
– Sejarah pulau Lombok di Wiki: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulau_Lombok#Sejarah
Source entering Islam on Lombok (only indon. language)
– Masuk Islam di Lombok: http://fadlisworld.blogspot.co.id/2014/09/sejarah-masuknya-islam-di-lombok.html
– Masuk Islam di Lombok: http://situs9.blogspot.co.id/2014/08/masuk-dan-berkembangnya-agama-islam-di.html