The principality of Laeq, located on the island of Lombok.
* Foto old Lombok, ancient sites, intervension of the dutch (1894) and the Sasak People: link
History of Laeq
According to Babad Lombok, the oldest kingdom on this island was named Kingdom of LAeq (LAeq Sasak language means the past), but other sources, ie Babad Suwung, are stating, that the oldest kingdom on Lombok was the kingdom of Suwung, founded and led by King Betara Indera. The kingdom of Suwung was replaced by the Kingdom of Lombok. In the 9th century to the 11th century the kingdom of Sasak was defeated by a kingdom from Bali at that time. Some other kingdoms once on the island of Lombok, were among others, Pejanggik, Langko, Bayan, chock Samarkaton and Selaparang.
History of the kingdoms on Lombok
According to the contents of Babad Lombok, the oldest kingdom that once ruled on Lombok, was named Laeq Kingdom (in sasak laeq means past time), but another source namely Babad Suwung, declared that the oldest kingdom in Lombok was the Kingdom of Suwung, built and led by King Betara Indera. The kingdom of Suwung then was replaced by the kingdom of Lombok. In the 9th century until the 11th century existed the Sasak Kingdom which was later defeated by one of the kingdoms, who came from Bali at that time.
In Lombok, in its development, there are traces of the four main kingdom, namely the Kingdom of Bayan in the west, Selaparang Kingdom in the East, Langko Kingdom in the middle, and Pejanggik Kingdom in the south. In addition to these four kingdoms, there were small kingdoms, such as Parwa and Sokong and several small villages, such as Pujut, Tempit, Kedaro, Batu Dendeng, Kuripan, Samarkaton and Kentawang. All these kingdoms and villages became independent territory after the Majapahit kingdom collapsed. Among the most prominent and most famous kingdoms and villages was the Lombok Kingdom based in Labuhan Lombok.
Entrance of Islam on Lombok
Prior to the entry of Islam, the people who inhabit Lombok consecutively believed animism, dynamism and then Hinduism. Islam first entered through the “wali” of the island of Java, namely sunan Prapen in about the 16th century, after the collapse of the Majapahit kingdom.
In conveying the teachings of Islam, the wali’s did not necessarily eliminate the old habits of people, who still embraced the old faith. There was even acculturation between Islam and the culture of the local community, because the spreaders were using local customs to facilitate the delivery of Islam. The religious teachings of that day were rewritten in Old Javanese. Even the shahadah for the Wetu Telu followers was accompanied by a sentence in Old Javanese. In those days, those who were required to perform the worship. were the kiai.When the kingdom of Lombok was led by king Rangkesari, Prince Prapen, son of Sunan Ratu Giri, came to Islamize the kingdom of Lombok. In Babad Lombok is mentioned, this Islamic is an effort of Raden Paku or Sunan Ratu Giri from Gersik, Surabaya who ordered the kings of East Java and Palembang to spread Islam to various regions in the archipelago. The process of Islam by Sunan Prapen got a lively result, until several years later the whole island of Lombok embraced Islam, except for some places that still retain the old customs.
Source Kedatuan Laeq (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kedatuan Laeq: http://suparmanol.blogspot.co.id/2010/12/sejarah-kedatuan-sasak.html
– Sejarah kedatuan Laeq: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150302374310503
Source history of Lombok (english)
Source old kingdoms on Lombok (only indon. language)
– Sejarah Kedatuan kuno Sasak: http://suparmanol.blogspot.co.id/2010/12/sejarah-kedatuan-sasak.html
– Sejarah Kedatuan kuno Sasak: http://gdefik.blogspot.co.id/2012/10/kedatuan-di-gumi-sasak-1.html
– Sejarah kerajaan di Lombok: http://melayuonline.com/ind/history/dig/307/kerajaan-lombok
– Sejarah pulau Lombok di Wiki: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulau_Lombok#Sejarah
Source entering Islam on Lombok (only indon. language)
– Masuk Islam di Lombok: http://fadlisworld.blogspot.co.id/2014/09/sejarah-masuknya-islam-di-lombok.html
– Masuk Islam di Lombok: http://situs9.blogspot.co.id/2014/08/masuk-dan-berkembangnya-agama-islam-di.html