Rokan is a region on Sumatera, in the prov. of Riau.
History of the kingdoms in Rokan area
Rokan is the name of a river that divides the island of Sumatra in the middle, empties to the North of the Island (the Strait of Malacca). This area is the area of the kingdom of Rokan Tua, known to exist in the 13th century, when it was recorded in the “Kertagama Country” by Prapanca, written in 1364 AD.
Until now the name Rokan also still exists as can be seen in the development of Rokan Tua’s kingdom until now. According to Muchtar Lutfi, Wan Saleh in the history of Riau, who became the King of Rokan in the 14-15th century were descendents from Sultan Sidi, brother of Sultan Sujak, described in the book Sulalatus Salatin, which states that the king of Rokan is the son of Sultan Sidi brother of Sultan Sujak.
The Rokan Kingdom is based in Koto Intan, a place near Kotolamo and moved to Pekaitan and eventually moved to Rantau Kasai (in Siarang-arang). After that there is no mention of the name Rokan Kingdom again.
Rokan region was divided in Rokan Hilir and Rokan Kanan.
(Nb: kerajaan = kingdom)
Rokan Hulu was split up into 5 kingdoms:
* Kerajaan Tambusai in Dalu-dalu,
* Kerajaan Rambah in Pasirpengarayan,
* Kerajaan Kepenuhan in Kototongah,
* Kerajaan Rokan IV Koto, in Rokan,
* Kerajaan Kuntodarussalam in Kotolamo.
Kingdoms in Riau, 19th century
List of kingdoms in Rokan:
Source (only indon. language)
– Sejarah Kab. Rokan Hulu: http://www.riaudailyphoto.com/2013/03/profil-kabupaten-rokan-hulu.html
– Kab. Rokan Hulu di Wiki: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabupaten_Rokan_Hulu
– Asal mulanya Kab. Rokan Hulu: http://herwandisahputra.blogspot.co.id/2014/10/kabupaten-rokan-hulu-adalah-kabupaten.html
– Sejarah Kab. Rokan Hilir: http://www.riaudailyphoto.com/2013/03/profil-kabupaten-rokan-hilir.html
– Kab. Rokan Hilir di Wiki: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabupaten_Rokan_Hilir
– Sejarah Rokan Hilir: http://www.putramelayu.web.id/2014/05/sekelumit-sejarah-rokan-hilir.html