The Kingdom of (Meureuhom) Daya is located in Aceh, north Sumatera, district Aceh Barat Daya, province of Aceh.
The kingdom was founded in 1480.
About the king (2017)
Present Raja (2017): Teuku Saifullah bin Teuku Hasymi El Hakimi, keturunan ke-13 raja Daya.
History of the kingdom
The kingdom of Daya was established in the year 1480 AD, by the first king “Salathin Alaidin Ri’ayat Sulthan Shah” or better known by the nickname “Po Teumeureuhom“, or “Cik Po Kandang”, who oversaw four kingdoms, which were allied, namely:
* Kingdom of Keuluang
* Kingdom of Lamno
* Kingdom of Kuala Unga, and
* Kingdom of Kuala Daya.
This kingdom was part of the kingdom of Aceh set by Sultanah Siti Hur Khairil Barri Wal Bahriyah, who ruled 1520 AD – 1553 AD.
The kingdom of Daya was founded by refugees from Indra Jaya Kingdom, a kingdom centered at the Pantie Bie (Seudu). The reason they evacuated was to avoid attacks by Chinese naval soldiers attacking their country. Indra Jaya King also took refuge to a fertile flat land next to Mount Geurutee. Seeing the location, King Indra Jaya and his entourage settled in the area so named Indra Jaya.
Then a group of preachers of Meurah Pupok (Teungku Sagop) came to the Indra Jaya Kingdom. They succeeded in developing Islam and its king also embraced Islam. Finally, Meurah Pupok was appointed king and his kingdom was named kingdom of Daya.
Among the famous kings of the descendants of Meurah Pupok was Meureuhom Onga (The late Onga). After Onga died, the Kingdom of Power suffered setbacks and chaos. Finally came king Inayat Syah and his son Riayat Shah of the kingdom of Aceh Darussalam. The crown prince Riayat Shah was made king of Daya with the title of Sultan Salathin Riayat Syah, while his father, Sultan Inayat Syah still ruled the kingdom of Aceh Darussalam, 1480-1490.
When the Kingdom of Aceh Darussalam was ruled by Syamsu Shah, 1497-1511 occurred a dispute with the kingdom of Daya, that the kingdom of Daya had been affected by the Portuguese incitement. Finally they reconciled after the Sultan Syamsu Shah (Raja Muda Ali Mughayat Shah) married Princess King Power (Princess Hur). On November 12, 1508, Sultan Salathin Riayat Shah died. This kingdom was later known as Meureuhom Daya.
About the small kingdoms under the sultanate of Aceh
The western part of the kingdom of Aceh Darussalam was opened and built in the 16th century on the initiative of Sultan Saidil Mukamil (Sultan of Aceh who lived between 1588-1604), followed by Sultan Iskandar Muda (Sultan of Aceh who lived in 1607-1636) the Acehnese Rayeuk and Pidie.
The first bustling area was at Meulaboh bay (Pasi Karam) ruled by a king who was titled Teuku Keujruen Meulaboh, and Negeri Daya (District Jaya) which at the end of the 15th century had established a kingdom with its king is Sultan Salatin Alaidin Riayat Shah with the title Poteu Meureuhom Daya.
The area of West Aceh at the end of the 17th century had developed into several small kingdoms led by a Uleebalang, namely: Kluang; Lamno; Kuala Lambeusoe; Kuala Daya; Kuala Unga; Babah Awe, and many more.
The structure of government of the small kingdoms
1) Gampong, the leader was called Geucik or Keuchik. The smallest territorial area of the government structure in Aceh was the Gampong. A Gampong consisted of groups of houses adjacent to each other.
The leader of the gampong was called Geucik or Keuchik, who was assisted by a proficient in religious matters, as Teungku Meunasah.
2) Mukim, the leader was called Imum Mukim. The larger territorial area of government was the Mukim. The Mukim was a combination of several gampongs, which were located nearby.
The leader of Mukim was called Imum Mukim. He was the one who coordinated the village (gampong) heads or Keuchik-Keuchik.
3) Sago or Sagoe, the leader was called Commander Sagoe or Panglima Sagi. In the Aceh region of Rayeuk (District Aceh Besar now), was a form of government called Sagoe or Sagi. The entire region of Aceh Rayeuk was incorporated into three Sagi, which can be regarded as three federations. The three Sagoe or Sagi were named:
1. Sagi XXII Mukim, consisted of 22 mukim.
2. Siva XXV Mukim, consisted of 25 mukim
3. Sagi XXVI Mukim, consisted of 26 Mukim
The leader was called Panglima Sagoe or Panglima Sagi, from generation to generation, they also hold the title of Uleebalang.
They were appointed as Panglima Sagi by the Sultan of Aceh, who gave them a stamp of the Kingdom of Aceh known as Cap Sikureung.
4) Nangroe, the leader was called Uleebalang. Another form of royal territory found in Aceh was called Nangroe or Negeri. This Nangroe was actually a conquered area of the Kingdom of Aceh and was located outside Aceh Inti or Aceh Rayeuk.
The leadership of Nangroe was called Uleebalang, which was established by tradition for generations.
The Uleebalang was the Head of State of the small kingdoms who were very powerful. However, when they assume the position of Uleebalang in their area, they had to be approved by the Sultan of Aceh. The Appointment Letter was called Sarakata and stamped with the stamp of the Kingdom of Aceh, Cap Sikureung.
5) The Sultan. The highest level in the government structure of the Kingdom of Aceh was the central government based in the royal capital, formerly known as Bandar Aceh Dar as Salam. The head of the central government was the Sultan who had the title of Tuanku.
Map of the Uleebalang (small kingdoms) in Aceh 1917
Old maps of Sumatera
For old maps of Sumatera (1565, 1588, 1598, 1601, 1616, 1620, 1707, 1725, 1760), klik here
Source Daya (only indon. language)
– Sejarah kerajaan Daya: http://leser-aceh.blogspot.co.id/2013/01/kerajaan-daya.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Daya: http://www.mudhiatulfata.net/2016/08/raja-meureuhom-daya-dan-tradisi-di-aceh.html
– Sejarah kerajaan Daya: https://www.facebook.com/SejarahAceh/posts/10150622667631791
– Bedirinya Nanggroe Daya: http://blogger-yapuna.blogspot.co.id/2011/07/berdirinya-kerajaan-negeri-daya.html
Source (only indon. language)
– Uleebalang di Aceh: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesultanan_Aceh#Ul.C3.A8.C3.ABbalang_.26_Pembagian_Wilayah
– Uleebalang di kesultanan Aceh: https://www.kompasiana.com/ruslan./siapakah-uleebalang_552c324c6ea83444128b4580
– Sejarah Uleebalang: https://www.facebook.com/boy.adityamawardi/posts/771874096190147
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://febasfi.blogspot.co.id/2012/11/struktur-atau-lembaga-pemerintahan.html
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://helmiyymailcom.blogspot.co.id/2012/10/struktur-pemerintahaan-kerajaan-aceh.html
– Struktur pemerintahan kesultanan Aceh: http://wartasejarah.blogspot.co.id/2013/07/kerajaan-aceh.html
– Tentang uleebalang: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ul%C3%A8%C3%ABbalang