Ulèëbalang is the head of government within the Aceh Sultanate who leads a region or sagoë, which is a district-level region within the current Indonesian government structure. Uleebalang’s had the title of Teuku title for men or Cut for women.
Uleebalang, is by tradition for generations. They received direct power from the Sultan of Aceh. Uleebalang was a ruler of a nanggroe or a smalle king in their respective regions. When they assume the position of Uleebalang in their area, they must be adopted by the Sultan of Aceh. This Appointment Letter is called Sarakata stamped with the stamp of the Kingdom of Aceh Cap Sikureung.
The task of Uleebalang was:
* Lead his Nangroe and coordinate the combat forces from his territory when there is war.
* Conducting orders or instructions from the Sultan; provide soldiers or supplies of war when needed by the Sultan, and pay tribute to the Sultan.
But they still remain as free leaders and free to do anything to the people who are in its territory. For example in the case of a court or execute punishment.
When the authority of the Aceh Sultanate was still strong, the Sultan had the privilege of the Nangroe region. These rights were only owned by the Sultan, while Uleebalang is not.
For example, the right to punish a guilty person, the right to issue a currency, the right to sound a cannon at sunset, and the right to get a call with the title of Daulat.
These rights are actually meant to prevent Uleebalang from committing arbitrariness, especially those relating to the punishment of a guilty person.
But when the Sultan’s authority was weakened, especially in the 19th and early 20th centuries (after the Acehnese sultanate ceased to exist), the punishment for a person guilty in Nangroe-nangroe was the Uleebalang.
In leading the Nangroe government, Uleebalang was assisted by:
* Banta, his brother or brother Uleebalang, who also acted as Uleebalang, if the concerned is not.
* Kadhi or Kali, who assisted in the law, which was regarded as understandable about Islamic law.
* Rakan, who was Uleebalang’s bodyguard, who could act with an iron fist. The best fighters in the war were given the title of Panglima Prang, while the small army leaders were usually given the title of Pang.
About Nanggroe and Mukim
Source (only indon. language)
* Tentang Uleebalang: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ul%C3%A8%C3%ABbalang
* Siapakah Uleebalang ?: https://www.kompasiana.com/ruslan./siapakah-uleebalang_552c324c6ea83444128b4580
* Daftar 100 Uleebalang: https://sultansinindonesieblog.wordpress.com/xx/aceh/
* Gelar dalam kerajaan kerajaan Aceh: http://acehtourismagency.blogspot.co.id/2012/11/9-gelar-dalam-kerajaan-aceh.html
* Struktur pemerintahan kerajaan kerajaan keci dalam kesulltanan Aceh: https://sultansinindonesieblog.wordpress.com/xx/aceh-struktur-pemerintahan-kerajaan-kecil-dalam-kesultanan-aceh/